First off, I hope you are all keeping safe, sane, and grounded!
It is really a rough time right now for all of us, our families, and the world as we all try to cope with the Corona Virus. And it becomes very important that we don’t panic and take it all in stride.
I hope that you are using the time spent in isolation to do things at home – maybe do some spring projects or work on projects with your children; maybe do some reading or other activity that you keep putting off; or maybe just sitting around and chatting with your partner. 😊
This could be a good time to reconnect with one another.
As you know, this virus is a very serious matter. And with so much information circulating on the internet, we need to make sure that we are getting our updates from trusted sources such as the World Health Organization or from your provincial or national governments. It is in these places that you will get solid up-to-date information.
As you are aware, guidelines have been put forth and we need to take them seriously.
- Washing hands often
- coughing and sneezing into your elbow or a Kleenex
- Social distancing especially if returning from a trip
One of the best things we can do is to implement healthy lifestyle habits that will help strengthen our immune systems.
Following are 8 healthy lifestyle habits that can help you stay healthy and in control during this crisis:
- Try to maintain your home routines as much as possible as they will give you a sense of normal. For example, when staying home continue to get ready for your day…get washed, brush your teeth, make your bed, etc.
- Eat a healthy, high nutrient breakfast or drink a green smoothie Eating the right foods can strengthen your immune system.
For example, citrus fruits, red and green peppers, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, nuts, pumpkin seeds, beans, lentils, garlic, turmeric, ginger, etc.
- Exercise at home: there are lots of youtube videos on yoga, pilates, Zumba, etc or go outside for a walk, hike, or jog.
Exercising and connecting with nature is very calming and can help you with stress management.
- Try to stay connected with family and friends via texting, phone, facetime, etc. Maintaining this social connection can provide support and help to alleviate any uncertainties you may be feeling.
- Take quality supplements that can help support digestion and your immune system such as probiotics, vitamins and minerals. These will help your body absorb the nutrients you are consuming and get rid of the toxins that are hanging out in your body.
Something I take every day is my power shake as it is high in nutrients, organic, and contains 5 servings of vegetables!
- Stay informed by reading from sites that are trusted. As I mentioned earlier the WHO and your municipal, provincial and national government sites.
There is so much circulating that it will drive you crazy trying to keep up with all of it – don’t get obsessed by it as it will only cause more stress and maybe even panic.
- Sleep is your friend: your body repairs and regenerates itself during sleep. Sleep also helps to boost immune system.
- Manage stress: if we can find ways to manage stress, our bodies will have a much better chance at fighting off disease. Very high stress will weaken the immune system.
If you are feeling stressed, try some deep breathing, meditation, or have a nice warm bath or shower before going to bed. Maybe turn off the news an hour before going to bed!
If you have any others to add, let us know in the comments below or send me an email.
If you would like some suggestions on good quality immune boosting supplements, let me know and I can guide you to the right place.
Certified Holistic Nutrition Coach
Certified Master Workplace Wellness Consultant
https://www.facebook.com/groups/anitasagingwithvitality/ (45 and over)